Saturday, January 2, 2010

Cheers to '09


So my sister posted a blog suggesting that we all stop for a moment, think about the past year, and focus on the things we did well. I think this is a great idea; honestly, I spend a lot of time dwelling on mistakes and indiscretions rather than successes. But overall, this was a good year. Sure, I screwed up a time or two. Sure, I tried and failed more than once. BUT, I also succeeded at accomplishing some pretty cool things. So to follow my sister's positive lead, I'll name the top five things I did well this year.

1. Watched Duke play at Cameron Indoor Stadium


Interestingly enough, the greatest accomplishment on my 2009 calendar happened on the last day of the year. On New Year's Eve, two of my favorite guys and I walked in the rain and fog 15 minutes down Science Boulevard in Durham to Cameron Indoor Stadium, a place I believe to be the best venue not only in college basketball, but maybe in all of basketball. Walking in to the Gothic style building, I got chills, thinking of the players who roamed the halls, the sweat, blood, and tears that have been poured out on that hollow hardwood floor, of the legacy that is almost tangible in that gym. The air is heavier for the history. It was absolutely beautiful, absolutely sacred. That game was, by far, the coolest thing I've ever done. Hearing the shoes squeak on the hardwood, the crazies chanting and clapping, the eruptions of the crowds, I remember thinking, "I hope this is what heaven looks like."
Oh, and Denzel was there.

2. London and Paris


Over spring break, my two very best friends and I boarded a plane and headed to London. After spending three days there, we got on a train, took a two hour nap, and woke up in Paris. Ever since I was young, I dreamed of visiting Paris. But truthfully, I never though it would happen. I have always felt like I was one of those people who was only ever going to wish I was doing things, rather than actually doing them. But in October of 2008, we made a decision to just buy a plane ticket. Over the next few months, we booked hotel rooms and train tickets, and around $1200 and a 9 hour plane ride later, we landed in Europe. And I think a part of me is still there.

3. Made the playoffs


Yes, we barely made the playoffs. Went 7-7 in district, lost games we shouldn't have, and had our destiny in another team's hands on the last night of the season. I remember rushing to Nederland to catch the end of their game, knowing if they won we lost our spot in the postseason. One of the best memories I have is watching the ball go through the net and knowing we were in, and hugging one of my seniors as she jumped up and down.
Yeah, we got 4th in district. And yeah, we got our ass kicked in the first round. And yeah, I hate losing and am still disappointed. BUT...we went. And for those twelve kids, that's what will matter ten years from now. It's not about me, really. I had my chances in high school. I breathed the playoff atmosphere, I lived success in those games. But my days are over. It's about them now.

4. Got named 20-4A Coach of the Year.



I'm not a person who likes to brag, so I hate to even put this on the list; however, I'm not adding it because I feel like I was the best coach in our district. I certainly don't feel that way. The reason I'm proud of this accomplishment because at 26, after three years of coaching, I earned the respect of a lot of people I respect. You see, the coaches in the district vote on Coach of the Year. And while I certainly understand there are several coaches who are better than me, I feel like they gave me this award as a nod. Just to say, hey, you are doing a good job with what you have. Noted.

5. Spent time with the best people on earth.












I love my friends. They are all so different, so unique, so freakin' cool. What makes a good friend? Well this year, 1) I found that good friends always answer your text messages. Sometimes it's a couple of hours later, but eventually they all respond. For some reason, to me, this says a lot about a friendship. 2) They come to important things in your life. They watch girls basketball when they don't care about girls basketball, because they are good friends. 3.) They make you feel better when things suck. They say things like "keep your chin up homie" and "I miss you" and "You didn't really like him anyway." They tell the truth and they lie when they need to, but they always, always, make you feel good.
I'm not perfect, not even close. But I feel like it when they are around.


***
Sure, there were some things about this year that were really hard. I've seen some good friends drift out of my life. I've made mistakes - I've spent, drank, cussed, and bitched entirely too much, saved, prayed, and exercised entirely too little. I've lived. And I've done some really cool things, and spent time with some really cool people. I'm getting older, getting wiser, and hopefully, getting better.
I read a book this year called Looking for Alaska. I love young adult novels, and this one was great. The main character loves reading the last words of famous people, and I was enthralled with the last words of the late poet Francois Rabelais: "I go to seek a Great Perhaps." I chose it for the title of my blog, and if I ever get a tattoo, that's what it will say. I got a little closer to my Great Perhaps this year. And if this year is any indication of the year to come, I'll still be seeking it in 2010. My suggestion to you, my few and dear readers, is to get out, see the world, take chances, dive in with both feet.
Move.
Create.
Seek.


Cheers.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Cried AND laughed a little. Looooves it AND you, friend :)

Jenna ("Foo") said...

I'm so proud of you.

Jo said...

You are awesome, Amanda! I hope your 2010 is a super great year!!! And, I had no idea you were named Coach of the Year--how cool is that!!!! :)

Nolan said...

Just now reading this. I absolutely love your writing.